How to Participate
The CCAC strives to enroll all Canadian institutions with animal-based science programs. The certification process is streamlined for efficiency and accessibility, especially for first-time institutions, without compromise on quality and integrity.
Institutions wishing to obtain a first certificate require the following elements before their first regular CCAC assessment visit:
- compliance with CCAC policy on: terms of reference for animal care committees particularly in the following areas:
- the creation of an animal care committee;
- an animal protocol form (or forms); and
- complete protocols submitted by researchers and teachers for all planned animal-based work, with the animal care committee having reviewed and made decisions on any protocols planned for the near future;
- a formal agreement or agreements for veterinary services; and
- trained, qualified personnel in sufficient numbers to care for all groups of animals seven days a week.